- TOOL KITS
- A. The NEXT Step
- B. Promoting Independence
- C. Phone Apps
- D. Return to Work
- E. Motivational Interviewing
- F. Paediatric Brain Injury Rehabilitation Resources
3. Person-centred practice and shared decision making
Person-centred practice is at the heart of the Case coordination placement model.
Goals have been described as “the essence of rehabilitation” (Barnes & Ward, 2000) and are a key element of person-centred practice.
Person-centred practice is treatment and care provided by health services that places the person at the centre of their own care (Victorian Department of Human Services (2003).
Principles of person-centred practice
1. Getting to know the person
2. Sharing of power and responsibility
3. Accessibility and flexibility
4. Co-ordination and integration
5. Having an environment that is conducive to person-centred care
The main barriers to person-centred health practice:
- Dissolution of professional power
- Staff lacking the autonomy to practice in this way
- Lack of clarity about what constitutes person-centred care
- People with communication difficulties
- The constraining nature of institutions and funding models
- The risk of the person making a poor decision or a decision that results in harm
Facilitators of person-centred health practice:
- Skilled, knowledgeable and enthusiastic staff
- Involving the service user, their carers, family and community
- Organisational culture that supports mutual respect and trust and reflects on own values and beliefs
- Staff training and education, including feedback from service users
- Organisational support for this approach to practice
- Being in their own environments (work and home).
Ref: National Ageing Research Institute (2006)
“Managed services” to “self-directed services”
More recently, there has been a world-wide shift away from “managed services” to “self-directed services”, a concept sharing many of the above principles, with a primary focus on flexibility, service choice and self-determination. This approach is derived from health care and disability services, with application to employment services.
Steve's self determination
Click on the image to go to the video player. The video may take a few moments to load.