- TOOL KITS
- A. The NEXT Step
- B. Promoting Independence
- C. Phone Apps
- D. Return to Work
- E. Motivational Interviewing
- F. Paediatric Brain Injury Rehabilitation Resources
- a) Introduction
- 0. Introduction
- 1. Transition
- 2. The transition wheel
- 3. Walking around the transition wheel
- 4. The transition wheel interview
- 5 . Using this kit
- 6 . Web resources
- b) Working together
- 7. My role
- 8 . My family's role
- 9. My case manager's role
- c) What can I do?
- 10. Who, where, what? The Services I receive
- 11. Accommodation
- 12. Driving
- 13.Alcohol and drugs
- 14. Social and recreational activities
- 15. Health and well-being
- 16. Relationships and friendships
- 17. Sexuality
- 18. Personal safety
- 19. Complaints/rights
- 20. Legal issues
- 21. Centrelink
- 22. Financial
- 23. Shopping
- 24. Employment, training and tertiary education
3. Walking around the Transition wheel
The wheel consists of areas that make up each part of life.
Below are the areas, along with some trigger questions, for each section.
- How ‘in control’ of your life do you feel?
- Do you need help making decisions?
- What decisions have you made recently?
- How do you make decisions?
- When things are going a little better, what will your decision making look like? What will you be deciding yourself?
Ability To Do Things For Myself
- Do you know how to take care of everyday stuff , such as cleaning, ironing, shopping, using the phone?
- Do you participate in doing some chores around the house?
- Do you require some help to allow you to do more for yourself?
Out and About
- Do you know how to catch public transport?
- Can you read a bus, ferry, train timetable?
- Are you able to read a map?
- What would you do if you needed help or got lost while you where out?
- Do you go on social outings with friends?
- Can you order and pay for food and ask for help from shop assistants?
Sports, Leisure and Interests
- What are your interests, hobbies and favourite sports?
- Do you regularly participate in any of these?
- Would you like to do more of these?
- Are you linked in with local groups that meet your interests? If not, how will you ‘get involved’?
- Have you undertaken any work experience or training while at school?
- What are you good at?
- Do you want to find a job, do some training or further study after you finish school?
- How will you reach these goals?
- Do you require assistance in your work or study?
- Do you have a circle of friends?
- Do you need some more skills around making and maintaining friendships or communicating with others?
- What do you do when you meet someone you have not met before?
- How will you maintain your friendships after you leave school?
- What is your understanding of sexual and non-sexual relationships?
- Who are the main support people within your family?
- How are the relationships between you and your family?
- Can the relationships be improved? How?
Physical Health and Abilities
- What is your understanding of your health issues?
- How would you access medical attention when needed?
- Do you have any current medical issues that need investigation?
- Are responsible for taking their own medication?
- What your understanding of healthy eating and exercise?
- Do you need help or encouragement to eat nutritional food and exercise regularly?
How You Feel
- How do you emotionally feel most of the time?
- If you are feeling ‘low’ what would you do?
- How do you look after your emotional wellbeing?
- Do you show signs of depression, anxiety or other mental health issues?
- Do you require some assistance to control your emotions?
- Where do you live?
- Do you want to move?
- Do you want to change anything about where and who you live with?
- Do you pay board or rent? Do you need help with this?
Sense of Stability
- Are you mainly confident about your life?
- Do you feel safe most of the time?
- How do you describe your life now? Is this mainly positive or negative?
Dealing With the Impact of Your Head Injury
- What is your understanding of your brain injury and how this impacts on your life?
- Do you want further information about your brain injury?
- Do you have any problems with your mood, your memory, organisational skills and planning? How do you handle these problems?